CELTIC PARK has a well deserved reputation across the World for having the best atmosphere anywhere in Europe. Billy McNeill described Celtic best when he noted that there was a fairytale connected to the club and every so often we get the chance to note that Big Billy was 100% correct.
That moment, for instance, when Tony Watt scored against Barcelona or Tom Rogic’s goal in the last few seconds of the Invincible season at Hampden that completed a treble, are such moments.
Plenty of the game’s most famous names have had their say about what makes Celtic FC, Celtic Park and the Celtic supporters so special. As we prepare ourselves for another hugely important night in the Europa League against Valencia on Thursday, hoping for another ‘Fairytale’ and ready to do our bit by roaring the team on, we thought we’d have a look back at what the great and the good in football have said about Celtic.
Over the years, plenty of big names have had their say on this magnificent football club. Below are some of the most inspiring sports quotes about Celtic FC…
So here is the Top 20 Celtic quotes and you’ll find plenty more on the excellent Celtic Wiki site.
1. “The Celtic fans are incredible. It is always great to play there.” – Cristiano Ronaldo (5-time World Player of the Year. Currently plays for Juventus and Portugal. Formerly at Real Madrid and Manchester United.)
2. “Celtic supporters are spectacular – they are the best.” – Carles Puyol (retired captain of Spain and FC Barcelona)
3. “Football will survive because of teams like Celtic and its fans.” – Age Hareide (then manager of Helsingborg)
4. “The best place to defend is in the opposition’s penalty box.” – Jock Stein (legendary Celtic FC manager)
5. “I know Celtic is not just a football club, it’s a way of life. You must watch this. You’ll feel inspired.” – Brendan Rodgers (current manager of Celtic FC)
6. “The ‘myths’ I’ve heard about Celtic Park on a European night are true.” – John Guidetti (Swedish international footballer)
7. “I just wanted to play for Glasgow Celtic. Celtic is a special club.” – Roy Keane (former Manchester United and Ireland player)
8. “I have a Celtic jersey at home. The games against Celtic were special and I want to remember them.” – Lionel Messi (the greatest footballer of all time)
9. “The best atmosphere I ever played in was at Celtic Park in the UEFA Cup for Liverpool.” – Michael Owen (former Liverpool and England star)
10. “Anyone going to Celtic Park is now saying, ‘You’ve got to beat that atmosphere, the energy they spend in their games’.” – Sir Alex Ferguson (legendary Manchester United manager)
11. “I spoke with my old players and they told me of a special stadium, for the environment with the fans, for the way they play.” – Pep Guardiola (Manchester City manager)
12. “The grounds of Liverpool and Manchester United are good and the hostile feeling of playing Real Madrid in the Bernabeu is also excellent, but the atmosphere against Celtic was the best.” – Xavi Hernandez ( Barcelona and Spain midfield great)
13. “What these players have to realise, is that when you put on the Celtic jersey, you’re not playing for a football team, you’re playing for a community and a cause.” – Tommy Burns (Celtic FC legend)
14. “You could take all the derby matches in the world and put them together and they still wouldn’t equal one-millionth of the O** F***. There’s nothing like it.” –Paolo Di Canio (Former Juventus, AC Milan, West Ham and Celtic player)
15. “It is inspiring and intimidating. It’s a stadium with a particular atmosphere you want to experience as a player.” – Wayne Rooney (England and Manchester United legend)
16. “This place makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, there is nowhere like it in football, and I can see how the people love to play here and speak so highly of it.” – Samuel Eto’o (former Barcelona, Inter Milan and Cameroon star)
17. “When I was at Porto my team also played in the UEFA Cup final against a Scottish side – but it was Celtic. I’ve never seen such emotional people. It was unbelievable!” – Jose Mourinho (former Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid, and Manchester United manager)
18. “It’s up there with Madrid and Camp Nou. They are a healthy club and with great fans. They are an example how to run a club.” – Frank de Boer (former Ajax manager)
19. “The incredible thing was the people, for an opposition player it is quite incredible, I have not seen a better atmosphere from the grounds I have visited.” – Steven Gerrard – (Liverpool FC legend, current the Rangers FC manager)
20. “Celtic is a tale of adventure, success, failure, exasperation and hope that will never cease to unfold.” – Kevin McCarra (author of Celtic books)
Also on The Celtic Star…