Celtic On This Day – 27th November – David Potter’s Celtic Diary

Celtic Historian David Potter each morning on The Celtic Star looks back at key Celtic events and matches on this day starting on 27th November 1915. David’s latest book The Celtic Rising ~ 1965 The Year Jock Stein Changed Everything is out now, is selling extremely fast and is available at Celtic stores and via Celtic Star Books.

SATURDAY 27 NOVEMBER 1915 – Without being too convincing, Celtic travelled to Kirkcaldy and defeated Raith Rovers 2-0 in a game where the depleted home side fought hard, but could not get past Charlie Shaw. Celtic scored through Patsy Gallacher and Jimmy McColl, but were clearly missing the injured Sunny Jim Young to inspire them.

SATURDAY 27 NOVEMBER 1965 – Sometimes to win the League, you really have to grind out results. Today at Parkhead on a cold day on a hard pitch, Celtic have to dig deep to beat Kilmarnock 2-1, but they emerge successfully with a goal from Joe McBride and a penalty, much disputed by Kilmarnock, which John Hughes converts.

WEDNESDAY 27 NOVEMBER 1968 – In the game that Jimmy Johnstone was excused playing in because of his fear of flying, Celtic duly qualify for the quarter-final of the European Cup by earning a 1-1 draw in Belgrade against Red Star. Willie Wallace scores Celtic’s goal.

SUNDAY 27  NOVEMBER 1994 – One of Celtic’s worst ever days as they lose the Scottish League Cup Final to an incredulous Raith Rovers before 45,384 fans at Ibrox. Andy Walker had equalized Raith Rovers’ opening counter, and then Charlie Nicholas scores what looks like a late winner. But Gordon Marshall cannot hold a Jason Dair shot, and Gordon Dalziel is there to head home the equalizer. No goals are scored in extra time, and then Paul McStay, by some distance the best player on the park, has the misfortune to have his penalty saved by Scott Thomson in the penalty shoot-out.

SATURDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2010 – 46,096 spectators are far from happy as they leave Celtic Park today after they watch their team through away a 2-0 lead to give Inverness Caledonian a draw. Ki and McCourt had earlier scored for Celtic, but then defensive frailties took over with elementary errors like passing the ball across the penalty box prevalent in the defence. The weather was cold, snow was threatening and the game was refereed by Mr Hamer of Luxemburg (who had a good game) because of the ongoing (and somewhat childish) dispute with Scottish referees.

David Potter

About Author

I am Celtic author and historian and write for The Celtic Star. I live in Kirkcaldy and have followed Celtic all my life, having seen them first at Dundee in March 1958. I am a retired teacher and my other interests are cricket, drama and the poetry of Robert Burns.

1 Comment

  1. I was one of the few unlucky ones who were at ibrox that day and at end of the penalties the state of numbness that descended on the Celtic fans and players was something that I will never forget. We didn’t turn on the players or TB we just stood in silence, the early to mid 90s were unbelievably bad