Celtic On This Day – 7th February – David Potter’s Celtic Diary

Celtic Historian David Potter each morning on The Celtic Star looks back at key Celtic events and matches on this day starting on 7th February 1914. David’s latest bestseller The Celtic Rising ~ 1965: The Year Jock Stein Changed Everything SOLD OUT on Celtic Star Books but the good news is that it is now back in stock! You can place an order here and we’ll post your order immediately. The Celtic Rising is also now available on Amazon Kindle, link below…

Charlie Shaw was outstanding

SATURDAY 7 FEBRUARY 1914 – Some 45,000 are crammed into Shawfield today to see the Scottish Cup tie between Clyde and Celtic. Celtic, without Eck McNair who has been out injured for some time and then having Ebenezer Owers carried off before half time, struggle against the determined Clyde team who have the advantage of the wind in the first half, and then the wind drops in the second half! But Charlie Shaw is at his best in the Celtic goal, and the game finishes 0-0.

Adam McLean scored

SATURDAY 7 FEBRUARY 1920 – 34,786 are at Dens Park today to see Celtic turn on the style and beat Dundee 3-1. They have been staying at Carnoustie all week and have been popular visitors, and today supporters have been arriving on trains and even some of these motorised brakes called charabancs which have become more popular since the end of the War. Celtic score at the start of each half through Adam McLean and Tommy McInally, then Willie Cringan before Dundee get a late consolation goal. The veteran Jimmy McMenemy is outstanding.

Sammy Wilson – Dunky MacKay – John Colrain – Eric Smith – Bertie Auld – Bobby Evans

WEDNESDAY 7 FEBRUARY 1959 – There is little doubt that Brockville in Falkirk is a bogey ground for Celtic, and so it proves today as, in spite of goals from John Colrain and John Divers, the young Celtic team go down 2-3. Another melancholy tradition at Brockville is bad behaviour, and sadly there is some of that as well.

WEDNESDAY 7 FEBRUARY 2001 – In a match characterised by eccentric refereeing from Willie Young, Celtic beat Rangers 3-1 in the Scottish League Cup semi-final at Hampden. Two dubious penalties are awarded, one to each side, duly converted by Jorge Albertz and Henrik Larsson respectively and three players Claudio Reyna and Michael Mols of Rangers and Lubomir Moravcik of Celtic are sent off. Chris Sutton and Henrik Larsson had given Celtic two goals of a start before the silliness really started.

SATURDAY 7 FEBRUARY 2004 – Celtic travel to Edinburgh to put Hearts to the sword in front of 14,712 fans and a lunch-time television audience in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup. Stilian Petrov scores early on, then adds another before half-time and by the time that Henrik Larsson adds a third almost on the final whistle, Hearts are a well-beaten team and the 3-0 score line could have been a lot more.

David Potter

About Author

I am Celtic author and historian and write for The Celtic Star. I live in Kirkcaldy and have followed Celtic all my life, having seen them first at Dundee in March 1958. I am a retired teacher and my other interests are cricket, drama and the poetry of Robert Burns.

Comments are closed.