Stunning strikes from Forrest and Brown as Celtic edge closer to 3×3

JAMES FORREST and Scott Brown each scored with absolutely stunning second half strikes at Easter Road to take Neil Lennon’s side through to the Scottish Cup semi-Final next month. And with the league looking comfortable with an eight point lead, the Celtic supporters at Easter Road celebrated as the team edged to within 180 minutes of an extraordinary 3×3.

The first half other than an early opportunity for Oli Burke inside the first few minutes, became something of a tactical stalemate.

Hibs denied Celtic space on the flanks and the visitors seemed to lack any real thrust in the central midfield with both Christie and McGregor’s energy being missed.

Other than a few corners Scott Bain had nothing of note to deal with and both Boysta and Ajer looked rock solid ahead of him. In fact Hibs never looked like scoring at any stage and their supporters mostly headed home defeated and dejected well before the end.

It was all too much for one in the main stand and it took two Policemen to get him under control and arms twisted up his back he was taken away for a night in the cells.

At the other side of the pitch Scotty Sinclair was offered a complimentary half bottle of Buckfast in a city where the locals aren’t noted for their generosity.

But it was a case of them having had their tea and the starter was served up by Celtic star James Forrest on the hour mark. The winger was moved into the number 10 position by Lenny, with Oli Burke going out wide and it paid off handsomely for the true Celtic man making the calls on the touchline.

Forrest found some space, composed himself and absolutely hammered the bell into the top left hand corner of the Hibs goal. Marciano had no chance.

That goal changed the game, Hibs we’re heading out if the cup unless they could get an equaliser so they had to push forward and that allowed Celtic to pick them off with the Oscar their disposal.

Scott Brown, immense all afternoon intercepted an attack and send Edouard clear with 75 minutes played. He was held up but cut back inside and fed his captain. And he’s getting a taste for it these days, like Forrrst he steadied himself and hammered the balk part Marciano to secure the win.

Lennon brought on Johnston, Henderson and Toljan replacing Sinclair, Boyata and Burke who seemed to injure himself in the closing stages.

The back four were all solid, Bitton worked hard but Man of the Match was once again Scott Brown.

The Green Brigade banner was once again excellent but let’s move on from Rodgers and drop references to him in our songs.

Well done Celtic!

About Author

The Celtic Star founder and editor, who has edited numerous Celtic books over the past decade or so including several from Lisbon Lions, Willie Wallace, Tommy Gemmell and Jim Craig. Earliest Celtic memories include a win over East Fife at Celtic Park and the 4-1 League Cup loss to Partick Thistle as a 6 year old. Best game? Easy 4-2, 1979 when Ten Men Won the League. Email

Comments are closed.