On This Day: Scottish Cup Semi-final Day, 1956

CELTIC travelled to Hampden to play in the Scottish Cup semi-final against Clyde on this day in 1956.

Clyde were full of confidence having put eight goals past Airdrie in their previous game.

Jock Stein was missing from the Celtic team due to an ankle injury and Eric Smith dropped out having chipped an ankle bone. This made way for the return of Jimmy Walsh, who had recovered from a strained thigh muscle. Neil Mochan, the top scorer at the club again found himself out in the cold.

Clyde considered themselves to have been unlucky to lose this semi-final, which as played in front of a lower that usual crowd, estimated at around 65,000. The game was played in a gale with the notorious Hampden swirl.

The Celtic Wiki describe the action as follows:

Clyde kicked off with the wind in their favour. Celtic made at least two goal line clearances and Clyde were unlucky not to get the benefit of doubt on another two occasions. Keogh and Hill gave extra attention to Fernie who was fouled seven times in the first half, one of which resulted in the Celtic penalty.

James Sharkey gave Celtic an early lead.

Clyde’s tactics with respect to Fernie were transparent and should have resulted in firmer action from the referee. It was also an error from Keogh which gifted Celtic the opening goal in the second minute.

Clyde scored immediately after the Celtic penalty when McPhail latched onto a defensive error when Evans and Beattie collided both trying to collect a long upfield punt. In the last minute of ther first half Jimmy Walsh had a goal bound header cleared off the Clyde line.

Fallon made two goal line clearances for Celtic in the second half.

McPhail for Clyde and Tully for Celtic were singled out as the players having the best game.

The teams were as follows:

Beattie; Haughney, Fallon; Boden, Evans, Peacock; Collins, Walsh, Sharkey, Fernie, Tully.
Scorers: Sharkey (2), Haughney (pen 19)

Watson; Murphy, Haddock; Gallacher, Keogh, Laing; Hill, Robertson, McPhail, Ring, Kemp.
Scorers: McPhail (20)

Referee: D Gerrard (Aberdeen)
Attendance: 65,200

In the meantime please stay safe and take care of you and yours. Think about signing up over on Celtic Noise, to join our Celtic community and enjoy the social interaction with fellow Celtic Supporters – you will be made very welcome indeed and signing up is quick and easy.

And if you fancy having a crack at writing about Celtic for The Celtic Star why not give it a go during these stay at home days? Send your contribution, which can be on any Celtic related topic of your choosing to editor@thecelticstar.co.uk and we’ll do the rest.

Take The Celtic Star’s Photo Tour of Celtic Park and enjoy our stunning photos from inside Paradise RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

Support Celtic Youth Development

Help raise money for Celtic Youth Development by joining the £1 weekly lottery and you could win up to £25,000 – just click on any one of the photographs below to join. Lots of our readers have already done so and they’re now doing their bit to help fund Celtic Youth Development that can deliver the stars of tomorrow and beyond. And you might even win a few bob too! And a special thank you to all The Celtic Star readers who have already signed up and are now supporting youth development to give us the Celtic Stars of the future…

About Author

Born just as Celtic were stopping the Ten, Lubo98 follows Celtic home and away and helps run his local Celtic Supporters Club. He plans to be at every game until we get to the Ten ourselves. He's in his Honours Year studying Law and plans to specialise in Sports Law when he graduates. Has a particular fondness for Tom Rogic among the current Celts and both Lubo and Henrik form his earliest Celtic memories.

Leave A Reply