THE CELTIC STAR listed 5 talking points from Celtic v Partick Thistle Scottish Cup match on this day last year when we got a very late score and nearly threw away a three goal advantage – much to the annoyance of The Celtic manager.
“I thought we started the game very well and the first 15 minutes had good structure, good positioning and scored two really good goals,” Brendan said.
“But a big mistake we make gives them oxygen in the game and gave them a lift. It broke our rhythm.
“We should have been much better,” Brendan admitted.
“We started very well ended up getting two great goals. A mistake gave them oxygen and it upset our rhythm.”
“Then we make another mistake in how we give the ball away and all of a sudden with five minutes to go it’s tight.
“So overall it was a good win for us but we made it really, really difficult for us and if we are to win the cup then we will need to be better and make less mistakes at the back and in our build-up play.”
Here’s what we were talking about after the game on The Celtic Star…
1. Sweet Sixteen – that’s sixteen goals James Forrest has scored this season and his outstanding hat-trick today was just enough as Celtic struggled to shake off a dogged Thistle side.
“I am delighted to get my first ever hat-trick to get us into the quarter finals,” Jamesy said after the game.
As mentioned above Brendan Rodgers was full of praise for Forrest’s performance but admitted that his side will have to play much better if they are to retain the Scottish Cup.
2. Slackness at the back – two up and cruising, James Forrest had just been denied a hat-trick in the first twenty minutes, Thistle were on the ropes and looked down and out and looking at being on the wrong end of a hammering.
The whole mood changed however when Jozo Simunovic was negligent with a pass back to gift Thistle a route back into the game. If Partick Thistle can punish Celtic for such slackness then heaven help up on Thursday against Zenit.
Brendan said that Jozo’s mistake gave Thistle the oxygen to get back into the game. Celtic made hard work of winning today due to slack defending. And Jozo wasn’t finished there safari as handing out gift wrapped goal scoring opportunities to the Jags. He is a player worryingly off form.
3. Not Charly’s Day – Charly Musonda started in the number 10 position for the first time today at Celtic Park but it was one of those days for the Belgian playmaker. He will be looking to make a bigger impact on Thursday night.
4. Rogic ready – Tom Rogic was stripped and ready to come on when Conor Sammon out-muscled Jozo Simunovic and found the bottom corner to make it 3-2. The talented Australian was immediately told by Brendan Rodgers that there was going to be a change of plan and the third change saw Eboue Kouassi come on to shore things up. We will have to wait to see Rogic back on the park.
5. Heart in mouth finish – unbelievably Thistle had a real opportunity in stoppage time to grab an equaliser and take the holders back to Firhill. Dorus de Vries hesitated and Parkhead held its breath. Only a block from Kieran Tierney saved Celtic from throwing the win away. It was close.
Also on The Celtic Star…